Saturday 16 April 2011

Surf City

Today B had made a plan to go with a friend to the beach and finally get his surf board in the water. In contrast to the recent cooler conditions (only mid 20's this past week) it was up in the 30's again today so we decided we'd all go and enjoy the beach and the company. It was a stunning blue sky day and the boys had so much fun in and out of the water. The sea is a beautiful temperature, the like of which I have never experienced in the UK and Ireland despite all our talk about the warm gulf stream. I paddled, watching over the kids as there was quite a swell even in the shallows. At one point Ru got knocked down by a wave, dropped his beloved bucket and his hat got washed off his head. I grabbed him and ran after the hat, he wailed after the bucket and two ladies who were taking a quiet stroll got roped into the palaver thinking something truly precious had been lost. Heaven knows the surf rescue people who watch over the beach must have been laughing.
Unfortunately I allowed B to talk me into wearing a bikini. "You look great. Besides, everybody wears them" he said. This, in fairness to him, is true( the everybody wears them bit, not the looking great bit). You look more odd in a full one-piece here, whatever shape or colour you are - and I am that slightly fluorescent shade of white that marks me out as a Brit. I had my hat on too, being sun aware, but foolishly I applied my sun cream with my shorts still in place. I now have a line of bright red about 2 inches high across my low back, thus failing for the first time since arriving in my "trying not to get sunburnt" motto. By the time the men finished surfing the boys were starving and our friends offered a bbq lunch back at their house. Great food followed by scrummy homemade chocolate cake. Over lunch I mentioned the helicopter that had flown along the coast when the guys were in the water. Its job is to keep an eye out for sharks and send a warning down if one is spotted. On hearing this Brian blanched slightly and told us in amazement he had thought it was a pleasure flight. I'm not entirely sure whether its presence is a comfort. Although it is good to know that someone is watching out, it's a rather stark reminder that somebody needs to be! In all we had a lovely afternoon and the boys were exhausted by the time we left.
Having slept on the way home Alfie did a jigsaw with Brian in the evening, and Ru took to his bed. We've been trying to cut out the telly and it's so apparent that the simplest things are the best for them. I don't know when I last saw them laugh so much (and not be fighting) as when we were in the water today, and this evening there is a bright, round moon which they loved.  "Daddy, Daddy come and see the full moon, it's so beautiful" called Alfie when he saw it. "It's breathtaking." !!  Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment