Sunday 3 April 2011

The new religion.... followed by an older one.

We heard at the end of last week that our container will be arriving next Friday. This is big news as it means we will at last have our own beds/ toys/ bikes/ kitchenalia etc. Obviously some of this stuff is more important than others, and in some ways it helps to clarify what actually is. Ru and Alfie are very keen to have their toys of course, but interestingly, also want their own beds back (Ru's is particularly worth having as Grandad made it for him in the shape of Noddy's car). Brian will be pleased to have his surf board, although whether he'll feel brave enough to use it much with the threat of sharks in the water remains to be seen. What will I be most pleased to see I wonder? I suspect that my teapots (yes, that's a plural!) will be high on the list, along with our pictures and paintings. Maybe my bike might get a bit more of an airing in this climate too...... well, that's what I'm currently telling myself anyway.

Anyway, with the imminent arrival of the container came the realisation that some stuff won't be coming because we left it behind. You see, we have been renting all the basics in the meantime. That'll all be going on Friday and we'll be without a fridge, freezer, washing machine, kettle, and lawnmower, to name but a few. I'm hoping to pick up a second hand washing machine and drier by scouring the local paper and "gumtree" but I don't fancy putting my food in anything less than a new fridge. So I had to convince B to not only go into some shops, but also to actually buy stuff in them. Never an easy task, it took quite some time to complete and left him so shaken that he very nearly crashed the car on the way home! The poor boys had had enough too by the end of it, so we went back to the lovely playground near home and Brian treated them to an ice cream and steadied his own nerves with a coffee.

On Sunday we decided to go to mass at the church next to Alfies school down in Myaree. We haven't been for a few weeks and the last visit was to our local church here in Applecross. Oh my, that one was sooo happy clappy that we were itching to get out. The musical leader played guitar and warbled "Hallelujah" till our eyes nearly rolled back in our heads, and we knew that it was not to be the place for us. So this week we tried Alfies school and it was good. 1) not too long and drawn out. 2) they have a childrens liturgy which involves sending the young ones to a soundproof room down the back to hear a reading and do drawings  3) one of Alfie's school friends was there so he had someone to play with  4) they serve tea and biscuits after. HOWEVER, I managed to disgrace us on our first outing. Not the boys, which is my usual fear as they get bored, but me. My phone, which it didn't occur to me to switch off because the only person who usually rings is Brian (and he was with me) rang loudly in the middle of mass. Arrgghhh. And, worse, it was only someone calling me back to tell me their bargain washing machine was already sold. Two blows for the price of one.

In the afternoon our friends came visiting and we conjured up hot dogs and ginger beer -in retrospect it sounds like a Famous Five picnic. I discovered from them it is Mothering Sunday in the UK (it's not till May here) and panicked that I hadn't sent anything to my poor Mum. Then I remembered that she's only due back from a mad "girls" trip to Vegas tonight, and didn't feel quite so bad as she wouldn't have been home anyway. I rang Dad and left a message for her and I'll call her tomorrow, wish her a belated one and see how it all went. Might even have time to send some flowers. But I won't ring her mobile in case they decided to catch mass en route!!

No comments:

Post a Comment