Tuesday 12 April 2011

More cycling and my new kitchen

Sunday brought a further trip to Bunnings to return half the stuff we bought on Saturday. We're on the other side of the world and it's almost comforting to know some things don't change. We still managed to come away without 2 items that were on the list, but did have some rather scrummy hot dogs that were being peddled by the local lions club outside the door. This seems to be very common here. Rather than the traditional "greasy spoon" caravan that seems to be in many a B&Q car park, they have local charities raising funds by putting on a barbie. The smell is too tempting for all but the hardiest soul and, safe in the knowledge that its all for a good cause, virtually no-one walks on past. They must make a fortune. Meanwhile, the cafe inside the store is empty with a green-aproned teenager lolling on the counter waiting for something to do.

Once home we abandoned the DIY idea and went up to the playground with the boys.



On the way we saw some more of the local parrots.These ones are called Rainbow Lorikeets.

The boys had ice creams....

Alfie's one turned his tongue a bit yellow....

...and I had a coffee and a muffin.

Then the boys cycled some more.....


..with a quick go on the biggest slide before we went home.


**********************

The newest challenge for me is using our kitchen to the full. I am not on this occasion talking about cooking either. Now that we actually have all our own belongings rather than the half dozen cups, plates and cutlery settings which we hired before, I have to store the things. This involves using most of the cupboards in the kitchen. So what?? I hear you cry. Well, whoever designed the kitchen in this house was either a) a giant or b) spiderman. There is a c) option but I'd get done for sexism so I'll leave it out. Basically all - and I do mean all- of the wall units are so high that I hadn't been using them till now. Even one of the removal men on Friday commented on the fact, and he was just over 6 foot, so imagine my dilemma at 5 foot 3! Since I no longer have a choice but use these cupboards I am reduced to using the boys ikea plastic step which was bought so they can reach to wash their hands after the loo. I kick it from place to place around the kitchen and periodically trip over it when my tea levels are getting low. For the top shelves I actually have to get the steps out so I've only put things up there that we basically never use. I did think of one massive advantage in all this. At last I will have somewhere to put stuff the boys aren't supposed to find ( treats, chocolate, toys that have been confiscated due to beating the sibling over the head with them etc). Only problem is, they take after their ex-mountain rescue Dad in the climbing department so I could, as ever, be fighting a losing battle.....

1 comment: