Saturday 22 October 2011

They do make me chuckle...

We managed to jinx the weather once again this weekend with talk of a quick one night camping trip. We woke this morning to find the glorious sunshine of the week replaced by dark clouds and thundery rumbles. So after packing the stuff into the car and back out again twice over, we finally made the decision that we'd be mad to go, and went off out for a day trip instead.
We went to an old town to the East of Perth called York. It's a one street town, but quite a pretty one. They have a motor museum which kept us occupied for the best part of an hour and had some amazing old cars and memorabilia, the boys loved it but would ideally have like to be able to get inside all the cars for a play.



We had lunch at a local hotel and were served by a girl from Tipperary who had cousins Brian knew in Kerry- scarily small world- then went for a walk by the river and found a pedestrian suspension bridge over the river Avon which is rickety and huge fun for the kids.



The boys in their turn gave me a laugh too. On the drive out they had some (nominally) chicken flavoured corn puffs to nibble- a bit like wotsits but not cheesy. These are new and Ru was the more adventurous to try them. When asked what they were like he answered "Yumm, they're pieces of chicken flavour yellow chocolatey stuff" Interesting concept I thought, if not necessarily an appealing one.

We had the Levellers playing on the stereo and Alfie asked about the words to one of the songs -"Beautiful Day". I told him part of the chorus "nothing is impossible in my own powerful mind" and proceeded to talk to him about how that was a great way to think of life - if you believe in something nothing's impossible and you can do anything you want. Perhaps my choice of words was poor and I should have used "achieve" instead of "do" in that last sentence though, because a nodding, serious looking Alfie came straight back at me with "You can do anything except break the speed limit Mummy, only the policemen can do that." 

I'll keep my philosophical thoughts to myself in future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment